Saturday, June 25, 2011

Epic Singletrack Series at Winter Park: Feeling Good Heading in to Europe Trip

Disclaimer:
Big races in Crested Butte and elsewhere attracted many of the top names elsewhere this weekend.  Nonetheless, I was stoked to get the win in the pro field at the Winter Park Epic Singletrack series race today.

The funny thing about long-distance races is that they generally either build you up or break you down.  After racing hard last weekend at the Bailey Hundo, I felt pretty good throughout the week but was not sure how things would play out at the Winter Park race when I decided to do it yesterday.

This morning in Winter Park, we took off hammering up a significant climb on a service road.  I like this kind of start because it allows for some separation before hitting the trails, and a group of five of us, led by the always-strong Kalan Beisel (he won the Front Range 60 this year), hit the singletrack together.

After recovering from a mistake in going the wrong way around a big puddle that cost me five or six spots, I found myself riding again with Beisel and Scott Tietzel of Specialized.  Tietzel was very strong all day, and I was lucky to hold his wheel on some flats and descents before puling away on a couple of climbs.

While many competitors opted for the hardtail today, I was very happy with the full suspension Chiru Sonic, which kept things very smooth on some shifty, rocky, wet, narrow terrain.  The bike climbs incredibly well, and keeps me in touch on descents--I love this thing!

I have been enjoying a focus on mountain bike racing, and it's fulfilling to get my first pro win at the cross country distance (generally a marathon or less).  I crossed in 1:36 and Biesel and Tietzel followed shortly thereafter.  I feel good going into two big races in Europe:
www.mb-race.com
and
http://www.salzkammergut-trophy.at/

The Chiru Pulse, a 29er hardtail, should be an excellent choice for these races, which both involve huge amounts of climbing.

After the race, I enjoyed a nice BBQ with Team Evergreen, a local cycling club that has been instrumental in supporting our Evergreen area team for the Colorado High School Mountain Biking League.  Thanks again, Team Evergreen!

3 comments:

  1. You're not doing the unicycle-downhill at Salzkammergut!? Nice back to back races! How are the trails at WP after the loss of so many trees? I imagine the conditions will be very different from ~5 years ago before the beetle kill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim,
    Many trees are missing, but the trails are still totally awesome! I really like those races. you notice the trees more on the drive and less on the bike. I'm working on the unicycling...might be able to nail it in the next three weeks. What's next for you? Cheers,
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the mountain bike patrol in WP back in ~1997, rode all day every day in the Park maintaining the trails. We've driven through WP a bit and have seen the devastation (I also live up near East Portal and have run over The Divide and seen it). I figured the trails would be drier with much more erosion? Eventually I think that will be the case. Sad.
    A sweet 29er unicycle built on a Terralogic fork?
    I have the Silver Rush 50 bike AND run in a few weeks. Trying to hold on to 20 hour training weeks and be a stay at home dad with 2 boys! And I just ordered a pair of Stans Crests built on Hope Pro 2 hubs... my Leadville race wheels! I can't wait to ditch 6 pounds off my wheelset!

    ReplyDelete